Sunday, August 15, 2010

July and August 2010

So July was pretty crazy. Since we had already paid for the storage unit for a month, we kept our stuff in there and slowly moved a few boxes a week until we got everything in. Like I mentioned in the last post, we ended up with a three bedroom, even though we were looking for a two. This one cost the same as the two bedrooms we had seen and it came with a washer and dryer, which we needed since we sold ours in AL to make room on the moving trailer. I had an interview with the university the first week we were here and it took about 2 weeks to hear back, but I got the job!! I found out last week that part of the reason it took so long was that HR changed their hiring procedures and they had to do a lot of paperwork because they weren't supposed to have interviewed yet and they had already decided they wanted to hire me. Anyways, I have my own office which I love! In Birmingham, everyone in my department had to walk past my office to get to the front door, to the kitchen, or to the administrative assistants' area. Needless to say, one person in particular spent a large amount of time in my office, which made it difficult to get any work done. Where my current office is located is great because it's sort of private (I can close my door) but I'm not closed off and completely away from people either.

Back to the month of July: We didn't do a lot because money prevented us from being able to do much. We went camping one night and almost froze to death! Not really, but it was extremely cold! We definitely weren't prepared with our Alabama camping gear. We've met a lot of interesting people here and the church here is great!

So far, August has been great! We got a new mattress which was delivered on our anniversary. That was pretty awesome since we didn't have a bed, so we had been sleeping on the hide-a-bed, an air mattress, the couches, or the floor when everything else got too uncomfortable. The first night, we slept about 11 1/2 hours! We went to dinner here in town for our anniversary because we didn't want to drive all the way to Cheyenne just to eat. Alan got me an 8x10 of one of our wedding photos and an 11x14. I've got to find frames for them now!!!

I started work on Monday and I love it! My boss is pretty flexible about what hours I work, as long as I get all my hours in. I'm really excited about work because one of the things I'm working on right now is updating the website. It needs a lot of work, but it's not as bad as a lot of the other state projects' sites. I also got another job babysitting for a couple that are both in school at UW. They are foreign and I'm not sure what country they are from, but they seem really nice. I'm excited about that because it's a baby that I'll be taking care of so I'll have time to study for my grad classes which I will hopefully be starting next week, but that will depend on if I can get in. I've got a lot of paperwork to do before I can get registered. Oh, and not that it's that important (sarcasm?) but I need to pick a major...hmmmmmm. I'll have to do some more thinking on that one.

Other than all of that, we've been pretty laidback the last few weeks, just trying to get settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment