Monday, August 16, 2010

Missing Home

We left Alabama almost 7 weeks ago. To be clear, I don't really miss Alabama. I do miss the people though. Before we left, I had it in my head that I would get to go back home at some point between summer and Christmas. Right now, that really just isn't seeming feasible. If we don't get to go back until Christmas, it will be 4 months from now before we go back. This has already been the longest I've gone without being in Alabama. It's really weird.

Something else weird: growing up, you can't wait to get away from your siblings (at least I couldn't). Now that we're grown up, I realize just how much I love them. Don't get me wrong, they can still get on my nerves like nobody's business, but I love them and I miss them. I hate that I don't get to see them very much.

About 2 weeks ago, one of my brother's, Patrick, had an accident at work (carpentry shop) and lost two fingers. Dealing with this has been hard on me because I'm so far away. I cried when Ray called to tell me what happened. To be honest, that was the first time I've cried since before the move. I guess I've kind of "turned off" the part of me that cries because it's so hard thinking about home. I love it here, but I miss my family a lot. I'm really hoping that I can get them to come out and visit soon, but I know it's just as hard on them to come here as it is for us to go there.

Anyways, just been thinking about that lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment